16 June 2014

Chocolate Mousse

Not surprisingly, this dessert earned a 10/10 perfect score from my sons. They've grown up in an era of reality food shows so they always rate my new dishes :)

I love this mousse because the recipe has no gelatin in it! I'm always weary of using gelatin because I have this fear that I won't dissolve it properly and will be left with lumps. I have used it successfully before, however if I can avoid it, I do.

The Thermomix version of this recipe will be familiar to Thermomix owners as it features in the Everyday Cookbook that comes with the machine. Below, I've converted the recipe to its traditional form.


Chocolate Mousse

Serves 6

200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
50g caster sugar
200g thickened cream
4 eggs, room temperature, separated
pinch sea salt
strawberries or other berries (optional)
extra chocolate to garnish (optional)

1. Melt chocolate over low heat and then add caster sugar and 50g of cream and stir for 1-2 minutes until ingredients are combined and melted. Ensure you do not boil or burn the chocolate mixture. Take off the heat.

2. Place chocolate mixture in a mixing bowl. Add egg yolks and mix until combined. Set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl before next step.

3. Place remaining cream into mixing bowl and whip until thickened. Again, set aside and clean and dry mixing bowl.

4. Place egg whites and salt into mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.

5. Add the reserved chocolate mixture and whipped cream to the bowl and fold mixture until well combined.

6. Place into serving bowls/glasses and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. The longer it is left to set, the "airier" and more "mousse-like" it will be.

7. Garnish with strawberry/berries and grated chocolate to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)