24 June 2014

Pistachio and Apricot Biscotti

These biscuits need to come with a warning label! They are addictive. This recipe was inspired by my mum's almond biscotti which are also hard to stop eating once you start. I decided to make them with pistachios and dried apricots because I love those two things and because I love the colour. You could really substitute any type of nut or dried fruit that you like. Next time I may try some cranberries.

These are a perfect little morning or afternoon snack with coffee or tea. Or for something a little fancier, serve them as an accompaniment to ice-cream. They are super easy to make and can be mixed by hand.



Pistachio and Apricot Biscotti

Makes 100-120 biscuits

5 eggs
1 cup white sugar
2 cups plain flour
120g pistachios*
120g dried apricots, chopped into quarters*

* These are approximate measurements.

1. Combine eggs and sugar in a bowl and mix with a spoon.

2. Add flour, pistachios and apricots and mix well, until all combined. Batter will be similar to a thick dough, although not dry.

Love the colour! Just throw everything in and mix together well.
 3. Pour dough out into a flat tin. The tin I used was approximately 26 x 17cm and 3cm deep.

4. Bake in 160 degrees Celsius fan forced oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.


Just out of the oven.
 
 5. Leave to cool for 20 minutes and whilst waiting, turn oven down to 120 degrees Celsius fan forced.

6. After leaving to cool for 20 minutes, slice the slab up and place individual biscuits on lined trays. I cut the biscuit slab in half lengthwise first and then sliced each row up. You need to slice carefully so that you end up with thin biscuits. I think my mum may use an electric knife for this but I managed with an ordinary one. I started off with a large serrated knife but found that the best job was done by a small serrated steak knife. It gave a cleaner cut so that biscuits were left with a smooth, rather than crumbly, surface.

7. Return each tray to the oven for 20 minutes, turning biscuits over half way through.


 8. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Then place in an airtight container. These biscuits keep for quite some time, but I have no idea exactly how long because they get eaten pretty quickly! Enjoy xx


1 comment:

  1. I've pinned this Cathy. I love biscotti and have wanted to make it for ages. You have certainly given me inspiration to have a go. I bought some with figs in a while ago, they were delish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)