6 June 2014

Pumpkin, Zucchini & Almond Loaf (Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free)

A friend of mine is unable to have gluten, dairy or sugar in her diet because of various medical conditions. I was set a challenge to find a recipe/s that fit the bill and this is my first attempt. It is one I found on the Thermomix recipe community, by a person who adapted it from the 20/20 Diet Cookbook by Lola Berry. (If you're after the Thermomix version, just click the link above).

It is a loaf that can be eaten sweet or savoury. The author suggests honey & tahini or avocado and tomato as accompaniments. I tried a piece with seasoned avocado and a piece with honey. Surprisingly for me, I think I preferred the savoury version. I didn't love the loaf on its own, but that could be because I'm not used to eating food that is gluten, dairy and sugar free. I would be interested to hear what such diet followers think of the taste.

 
 
Pumpkin, Zucchini & Almond Loaf (Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free)
 
 
230g pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
135g zucchini, diced into 2cm pieces
4 eggs
40g coconut oil*
300g almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
pinch of salt
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons of pepita seeds
 
* The original recipe used macadamia oil but I couldn't find any in my local supermarket so I substituted it with coconut oil.
 
 
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced.
 
2. Place pumpkin in a food processor and chop into fine bits. I made mine in the Thermomix so I've included a picture below to show you the size you should be aiming for. Once done, place in a mixing bowl.
 
 
3. Place zucchini in food processor and chop up like the pumpkin. Add to the mixing bowl with the pumpkin once done.
 
4. Add eggs and coconut oil to the mixing bowl containing the pumpkin and zucchini and mix everything together until well combined.
 
5. Then add your almond meal, baking powder, salt and nutmeg and once again mix everything together until combined.
 
6. Finally, spoon the mixture into a greased loaf tin, sprinkle with pepita seeds and bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. My loaf tin was a little large which is why I perhaps didn't get the height it would normally be.


 
Do you have any tips for people who need to be on a gluten, dairy and sugar free diet?
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment :)